Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hello Sydney!

Sydney made a good first impression on me mostly because the weather was much warmer than in Melbourne (if still not very sunny).  My first day was pretty low-key since I was completely exhausted from not getting enough sleep on the overnight bus.  A lot of reading, napping and just getting settled (laundry and groceries) happened as well as the requisite wander the streets and figure out where the heck I am and spotting the iconic figures of Sydney - Harbour Bridge and the Opera House.

While I've gotten pretty good at remembering which way the traffic goes, at intersections without a light these signs can come in quite handy at times.  Haven't been hit by a car yet!
I'm staying a hostel called Base which is alright.  It's clean and the location is great, but it's huge and lacks a good common area so it's hard to meet anyone outside of your roommates.  Mine are, again, alright, but I haven't really made any friends out of them so I've been flying solo for the past few days.

My second day in Sydney a bit more interesting.  I went to Wildlife World and saw some crazy creatures, including:

The most venomous snake in the world - the inland taipan.  Not so scary when caged.
The cassowary bird.


 I walked through the city, Hyde Park, the botanic gardens and out to Mrs. Macquarie's Point for a great view of the city.  While the city has been great about putting up signs about the foliage and maps around the park and everything under the sun, I didn't come across anything about Mrs. Macquarie so all I know about her (from Wikipedia) is that she was a former Governor's wife.  At any rate, she found a great view of the city:


Something else that I happened to stumble upon was a neat project being put on by the city at the moment.  Several local textile designers have been allowed to clothe statues around the city, like so:


Kinda fun, right?

That's it for this post!  TTFN

3 comments:

  1. That snake would freak me out even in a cage! That view is absolutely stunning. Well done on finding your bearings and knowing what to do and see hun.
    oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon:
    Please don't pet the snakes.
    Thankyou
    Da

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well ol Mrs Macquarie... basically what you found out about her is all us sydney siders know about it anyway! best spot for NYE fireworks, but you have to sit there about 2 days in advance and not pee or wash to keep it :p Glad the weather is better! Hope you find some friends soon.. or I'll make you find mine!!!

    ReplyDelete