Thursday, November 4, 2010

Onto the Philippines!

While it was sad to leave Australia, particularly Jon, Kieran and Emma (I had gotten quite used to my simple little life in Brisbane), the prospect of the Philippines was enough to keep me moving onward.  My flight to Manila was a bit of a long haul - 16 hour trip with the layover in Kuala Lumpur.  Luckily I didn't have anyone in the seat next to me for either flight, so I was able to get comfy and sleep for most of it.

I flew with Malaysia Airlines, which is about ten years behind the times in terms of the flight travel experience.  No personal tvs, but they actually feed you a meal on a 4 hour flight, which was much more important to me on this flight.  We were served a traditional Malaysian breakfast on the first flight - rendang chicken!  Probably not the best rendang chicken out there, but definitely better than most airplane food options.  Of course, I suspect a truly traditional Malaysian breakfast of rendang chicken probably doesn't come with OJ, a croissant, a yogurt cup and a mini Muesli bar, but I'll take what I can get.  Lunch was some other delicious Malaysian chicken dish.

Immigration and customs at the Manila airport was easy as pie.  The immigration officer didn't question me at all.  In fact, she didn't speak a single word to me.  Neither did the customs officer.  Certainly made it easy for me.  Most of the people off my flight were in the "visitor" lineups and not the "Philippine passport" lineups, but the vast majority of even the visitors were Asian.  It was quite clear from the get go that I would stick out like a sore thumb.  A sore thumb wearing a red wig.

Outside, the humidity hit me like a tonne of bricks.  It's not that it's all that hot, just really, really sticky.  I had my first experience with having a driver waiting for me with my name written on a sign.  Kind of cool, I'm not going to lie.  Having a driver from the hostel/hotel pick me up at the airport was definitely more money than I needed to spend, but it made my arrival nice and relaxed and easy.  Totally worth the whopping $11.

Having never been to Asia or any third world country, the was definitely a fair bit of culture shock.  Especially given that Manila is not the prettiest of cities.  The areas that we drove through looked pretty poor, dirty and rundown.  Even the area I'm staying in, from the street view, is pretty rundown though the business interiors are nice and it gets a bit cleaner and more prosperous looking just a few blocks up.  On my street there aren't even usable sidewalks consistently.  There is a very strong police presence and security at the front doors of some restaurants.  All the taxis honk at me as they drive past.  At first I thought I was in the way, not walking close enough to the side of the road or something.  Turns out that's just how they get your attention to see if you want a ride.  I was pretty overwhelmed the first night, and as much as I hate to admit it, I only saw the inside of my hotel, the Starbucks attached to my hotel and the internet cafe across the street for my first evening.

Despite all that, I managed to remain optimistic about venturing out the next day simply because everyone is so friendly here.  I felt very welcome and knew I could get help if I needed it.

That's it for now.  Adventures in Manila to come!

2 comments:

  1. Great to see these pictures and you having these experiences!!!
    Have fun in the Phillipines.
    Da

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Luckily I didn't have anyone in the seat next to me for either flight, ..."


    There is a name for that -- trailer trash first class. m

    ReplyDelete