Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sydney: Part 2

Eek, I've fallen cities behind!  But at least that means I'm having a good time!  My last couple of days in Sydney were quite touristy and involved a lot of walking.  I checked out the fish markets, foolishly going right after a big breakfast and not hungry enough to enjoy a delicious meal down there, so naturally I had to go back the next day.  Turned out to not be worth the second trip down as it made me feel a bit ill, and just as I was getting on the 3 hour bus to Newcastle no less.  Nevertheless, kind of neat to check out and I was a super nerdy tourist and took photos of the seafood:


I made a quick stop at the Top Floor Cafe for a little refreshment:

Worth the hike up those stairs?

Yes!  The most delicious iced coffee I've ever had - more like an iced coffee float with ice cream on top!  Mmmmm.
After which I spent most of the rest of the day wandering around taking photos.  The first day I was in Sydney, I was quite proud that a local stopped to ask me a question about the buses - I must not have looked like a bumbling tourist!  Yay!  Unfortunately, all the smugness went straight out the window as I wandered in more circles than I care to admit trying to find my way onto the Harbour Bridge.  Fortunately, it was worth the walk:

View from the Harbour Bridge

View of the bridge from the far side
At some point I popped into the Museum of Contemporary Art, most of which was quite pretentious and I was out of there fairly quickly.  There was an installation that was just a bunch of plants and supposed be making some statement about how plants are life or something like that.  Anyway, my favourite part of the whole museum was the sign for that installation:

If you can't see it, the text at the bottom reads "Please do not eat the plants."  Really?!
 Oh and I bought a print by a local artist and had it shipped home - mum and dad, you should be expecting a package any day now! :)

My last day in Sydney, I went up the Sydney Tower which wasn't all that exciting.  No way to take very good photos and I guess just not that much different than going up any other tower in any other city.  Luckily, it didn't cost that much.  Spent the rest of the day getting my lunch of death and grabbing the bus up to Newcastle!

No comments:

Post a Comment