Sunday, October 17, 2010

Townsville and Barf

After the Whitsundays I left Airlie Beach pretty quickly on the Greyhound to head up to Townsville.  Not so much to see Townsville, but to go to Magnetic Island.  At the time though I figured, why not check out Townsville at the same time?  Because there's not much worth checking out, that's why.

The people made a great impression on me (a fellow backpacker that had been living there for awhile helped me out with directions as soon as I pulled out my map), but the town did not.  Admittedly, I had a particularly unfortunate experience.  I went to check into my hostel at the very reasonable hour (especially by backpacker standards) of 8:30.  The front desk had been closed since 7.  I had to call someone to get a code to get my key out of a lock box.  The only pay phone was broken.  Luckily, it was nice backpackers to the rescue again and someone let me borrow their mobile.  I finally got checked into my room, only to find that it smelled like old cheese.  Lovely.

So, I thought, what better way to make up for a little bad luck than with a good dinner and maybe a splurge on a nice glass of red wine?  Well, there would have to be somewhere open to eat at for that to be a solution.  The only place that seemed to still have their kitchen open was a restaurant that wouldn't let me in with my flip-flops.  I finally settled for street pizza (a ridiculous $4 compared to the $2 at home!) followed by my much craved glass of wine at a bar.  I went to bed feeling a bit better and looking forward to checking out the next morning.

Unfortunately, the next morning came a little sooner than planned.  I was awoken early by what may have been stomach flu, but I'm guessing was food poisoning from my lovely street pizza experience.  As soon as reception was open and I could drag myself out of bed, I moved into a private room and spent the day being ill.  Boo.  There's nothing quite as lonely as being really sick with absolutely no one to help you out.  But I survived.  By the evening I was well enough to make a trip to the grocery store for some popsicles and I was almost back to normal by the following morning.  All ready to head over to Magnetic Island!

4 comments:

  1. Oh honey I'm so sorry to hear that you were sick and that it was such a tough place to get in to. :( Wish I could have been there. Boo to food poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Townsville is.... for lack of a better word, arse. If you know locals, it can be fun to head out (or just seedy, cause there are lots of army men there and creepy ones at that) but alone, just not fun. It is where country town meets uselessness. Sorry to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ya Shan.
    Hope it only gets brighter from here.
    I think we have some of the same pictures :)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is it that the only time we eat popsicles is when we're sick, but we've never associated them with feeling ill?

    -Bud

    ReplyDelete